Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Sophisticated Smoothie: Vanilla Bean, Banana & Peanut Butter


While seemingly pedestrian, smoothies have the potential to be quite delicious, maybe even a bit sophisticated. Inspired by the smoothies offered at my-way-too-chic-for-the-likes-of-me gym--which of course is called simply Clay--I have been experimenting with some recipes. See, I don't always like to eat in the morning, and then there is always a question of what to eat. Eggs and bacon, while filling, are too greasy for my late-to-rise stomach. And toast never cuts it--in two hours I am famished. What I like is some protein, a little fat, some fruit--and make it easy.

Here is my latest, delicious concoction.

1 cup ice
1/2 banana (i freeze mine in slices so the smoothie is extra cold)
1 tablespoon peanut butter
1 scoop whey protein powder (vanilla flavor)
1 cup soy milk (or almond, rice or even regular milk)
1 tablespoon agave syrup or honey
1/4 dried vanilla bean, sliced open and insides scraped out (or 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract)

Dump everything into the blender and blend on highest level until everything is smooth. Drink up. Makes 1 large or 2 small smoothies.

Stay tuned for other culinary sophisticated smoothies, along with some kid-friendly versions.

1 comment:

  1. I'm a smoothie-to-work person - I pretty much will dump in whatever seems like it can be blended!

    ReplyDelete